Tuesday 31 March 2009

Don't worry, I have my Diet Coke

So, Catherine commented on my McDonalds blog about India not having Diet Coke. No one ever comments, so I don't really check it, but Dad pointed it out last night. I was going to reply to it, but then I thought a subject as important as Diet Coke really deserves its own post. Also, life has become rather normal so I'm running out of things to say.

First up, Diet Coke completely exists. I was drinking it last night when my dad told me about the comment and I'm drinking it now at the internet cafe. Some of the condensation just dripped on the keyboard.

I really don't want people thinking that India is all curry and kingfisher beer and lacking anything you've heard of just becuase McDonalds when crazy and scrapped most of its menu. Actually its surprisingly easy to get hold of any western delights you fancy. Our local shop, which is tiny and on some suburban back street, is part Indian part Selfridges food hall. It sells skippy peanut butter, and cadburys and the fancy balsamic vinegar and Knotts Berry Farm Boisenberry syrup and Aunt Jemima' pancake mix and that 'fancy' pasta that comes in a blue box. It even has a lone jar of Marmite that taunts me every time I go in. Most of the American stuff is even cheaper than you can buy it in England (not the Marmite, its a tiny jar and 3 pounds so I'm trying to resist its charms). Everytime I go in the shop I find something new and exciting to destract me.

So, don't worry, I have my Diet Coke and also pretty much all the other food I used to eat at home. Even bourbon biscuits!

No comments:

Post a Comment