Sunday 22 March 2009

The Golden Arches of Happiness



I know this is wrong, but if you look closely you'll see I got myself a McAloo Tikka, not available in England, so therefore competely counts as local cuisine. It also automatically comes with chilli sauce. I've been craving a McAloo Tikka since my third day here when I saw 3 massive billboards in a row advertising it. Luanna refused to induldge this but Vikki has a soft spot for the fries, so one day, after a taxing time in Nallasopara we decided to get our rickshaw home to go via McDonalds. It was totally worth it.

In fact, India McDonalds shouldn't really be called McDonalds at all because, besides its yellow and red decorations, it has nothing in common with the global American chain we all love so much. Firstly it doesn't sell Big Macs, and as side note to this, it sells nothing with beef in it at all (this makes perfect sense with cows being holy and all, but when did McDonalds ever care about cultural sensitivity?!?) So, no Big Macs and no beef. All the remains of the normal menu is fries, a few drinks (shakes, coke, 7up... no diet coke), the McChicken Sandwich and the fillet-o-fish. Thats it. Instead its all McAloo Tikkas and McMaharasha Burger, McPizza Puffs and Salad Sandwiches (Like a big mac, but with no beef) It is a crazy little menu. Thank god for the fries which taste just as lovely and identikit as they would anywhere in the world. The biggest difference is the most shocking (especially for someone who catches the train at 7:30am twice a week). Indian McDonalds (or perhaps just my local) does not open until 11am. Which means.... they don't do Breakfast. The whole of India (or possibly just my local area) does not have access to the delights of an Egg McMuffin. This news hit me hard. I found out at midnight the day before I was planning on an Egg McMuffin breakfast. Don't worry, I pulled myself together and got fries in the afternoon instead.

1 comment: