Tuesday 17 March 2009

Oh India...

So I've realised that a few of my blogs have been less on the perky side. And also contain a lot of details of how unwell I've been. This is mostly because I'm usually feeling ill and rubbish when I write them and not really in the mood for perkiness. But today had been a pretty cool day, despite having spent it at the slightly scary country school in Nalasopara. The kids today all seemed to learn things, classes were under control and we did most of our planning at school so we had our evening free. So all in all I was feeling pretty good and thought I should spread this joy to my blog. Except the thing with India is, even though everything is mostly awesome, as soon as something goes wrong you suddenly feel like hell and want to go running home. Just when you think you've got a handle on it all you're suddenly plunged into crappiness. This happened today.

Right at the end of lesson planning I found out I'd had a hole in my trousers all day (to match the one in the shirt I was wearing that flashed my bra whenever I raised my right arm). I found this out because an ant crawled in and bit me. Then I noticed all this black stuff was coming off my skin when I rubbed it, normally this would mean ah well I'll have a wash, but because our apartment is regularly without water sometimes it can be impossible to even wash your hands (let alone flush the loo and shower). Then I feel asleep on the train and when I woke up my right arm sleeve was soaked through with sweat. Then the rickshaw driver got lost on the way home and had a fight with us on the street over one rupee. So I got home grubby, sweaty, slightly annoyed and with holes in my clothes to discover our apartment flooded during the day (how? we never have water!!!!!!). It had all been cleared up but all our wet backpacks on the floor got put on my bed, so now all my clean sheets (the only clean ones in the apartment) and my matress are wet. Lucky me.

So all in all I'm not feeling remotely perky anymore, so you can have a happy post about the two schools I'm volunteering at another day.

Also, the power cut out in the internet place half way through writing this so I had to type a bunch of it again.

No comments:

Post a Comment